According to the American Gem Society (AGS), pearls have been a symbol of beauty and purity for centuries. Here are five pearl facts you might not know:
- Political Pearls? From Martha Washington to Kamala Harris, and Queen Elizabeth across the pond, many world leaders and their spouses love pearls which seem to be synonymous with fame, glamour, power and beauty.
- Not Just Your Mother’s Pearls One of today’s hottest celebrity looks, pearls have recently been featured accessories seen worn by folks like Billie Eilish, Gigi Hadid, Dua Lipa, Demi Lovato and even Harry Styles.
- Variety Galore Pearls are available in single, double and seemingly endless strands, in chunky or delicate styles, in pendants, earrings and more.
- Lustrous Colors Sure, you know they come in white, cream and beige. But pearls are also popular in pink, chocolate, blue and even black.
- Natural Versus Cultured Since Kokichi Mikimoto first created a cultured (cultivated) pearl in the 19th century, nearly all of today’s subsequent pearls are generated with his technique, “seeded” by hand and produced by oysters or mollusks.
Want to know how to tell fake pearls from the Real McCoy? Check out our 2020 blog and read more on the topic.